So I’ve had a few weeks to play with my legendary daggers, and I’ve learned a few lessons (most the hard way!) about how to make the most effective use of the crazy power they give you.
1. Try to convince your raid leader to leave you on the boss wherever possible. There’s not much worse than getting a proc just as you run out to DPS a Yor’sahj slime. If this isn’t feasible for your group/comp, do keep an eye on your stacks. Below 30, and DPS those adds away. As the stacks get higher, be more conservative, within reason. Leaving an add a few second early to get back to the boss may be worth it so you don’t proc and waste DPS. Make sure, though, that you’re communicating these plans with your raid leads/officers. You want to make sure you’re doing what’s best for the group, not being selfish.
2. Try to time your cooldowns for when you’re getting close to 30 stacks, so you’ll maximize a chance of a proc while they’re still up and running. Timed right, you can also get a glyphed Tricks in during a proc so your abilities cost less (I’m assuming you have at least 2 piece T13).
3. Be a bit more conservative using energy as the proc gets closer. Absolutely avoid capping, but try to run in the middle of the energy bar so you have a finisher or two worth of reserves available as soon as the proc fires.
4. Use Power Auras or something similar to tell you how many stacks you’re at and when the proc is active.
Here are my Power Aura strings:
Version:4.23; icon:inv_misc_volatileshadow; buffname:Shadows of the Destroyer; x:-240; stacks:1; owntex:true; size:0.39; y:230; texmode:2; stacks.enabled:true; stacks.LegacySizing:false; stacks.Relative:BOTTOM; stacks.h:1.55
Version:4.23; icon:Spell_Shadow_Shadowfury; buffname:Fury of the Destroyer; x:270; owntex:true; size:0.39; y:228; texmode:2; timer.h:1.77; timer.enabled:true; timer.Relative:BOTTOM
Version:4.23; b:0.0745; g:0.9961; icon:Spell_Shadow_Shadowfury; buffname:Fury of the Destroyer; x:270; texture:2; size:1.2; y:228; texmode:1
Some of the tips above also apply for PvP, but here are a few additional things I’ve learned specifically in regards to PvP’ing with the legendary daggers:
1. It’s fairly obvious you should save some cooldowns for close to your proc. But maybe not so obvious is saving your pvp trinket if you can. Nothing’s worse than being cc’ed immediately as you proc. A smokebomb and stun as you get close in stacks can also be quite helpful, especially if you’re lucky and proc early.
2. If you have two sources of burst DPS (hint, you do now, at least if you’re Sub!), you can make them more effective through one of two methods: use them at the same time, or back-to-back. Unfortunately, Shadow Dance and the Legendary proc are not mutually beneficial. For the former, you want to spam openers; for the latter, you want to spam finishers – you can’t get maximum benefit out of both at the same time. So chaining them is the right answer. And since you have very little control over the exact timing of the Legendary proc, you’ll want to use Shadow Dance second. Note: at least in my arena experience, if I use Shadow Dance as part of my initial opener, it’s up in time for the Legendary proc.
Your turn! I hope these tips help you out. If you have any others, I’d love to hear them – please leave a comment!